In 2022, it has become important for everyone to have an internet connection on their mobile phones and computers. Here, a wifi Cisco router will let you have internet in your house. But do you know what type of cable is used to connect a workstation serial port to a cisco router console port?
If you want to know the answer to this question, then you are at the right place. Read this article to find out how you can connect your computer to a Cisco modem router and have unlimited internet access. You will also learn what cables are required to connect these two devices together.
What Is A Workstation Serial Port?
A workstation serial port is an interface in your computer that allows the easy exchange and transmission of serial data. This is a very old technique of transmitting serial data that has been popularly used for decades.
Some common modern devices that make use of workstation serial ports are printers, external PC modems, scientific instruments, cash registers, and lots more.
However, its use has declined in today’s day and age because of the existence of parallel ports. Compared to workstation serial ports, parallel ports transfer data at a much higher rate.
Most computers have two ports – a male and a female. The male port is typically referred to as the male port, while the parallel port is referred to as the parallel port. Both these ports have various COM ports, each having its own input and output ports (also known as I/O ports).
With the help of such devices as the I/O interface, the computer is able to receive and send data. This includes connecting to other peripheral hardware like a keyboard and a mouse.
What Type Of Cable Is Used To Connect A Workstation Serial Port To A Cisco Router Console Port?
To connect a workstation serial port to a router console port, you need to use the right cable to form the right connection between the two.
Since you want to know what type of cable is used to connect a workstation serial port to a cisco router console port, then the answer is an RJ-45 cable. This is the most commonly accepted cable for connecting modems and routers to the computer.
The RJ-45 ethernet cable has a plug that looks very different from other plugs. It doesn’t look like the standard USB port. It is way thicker with more transmission needles on the plug.
How To Connect A Workstation Serial Port To A Cisco Router Console Port?
If you wish to connect a workstation serial port to a Cisco router console port, then you need to ensure that these following steps get done:
- First, you need to install the Cisco router. You also need to have your ISPs SIM card with you to get an internet connection. Therefore, ensure that the SIM card is in the router and that its power is switched off for now. Also, ensure that the antenna is straight upwards.
- Next, you need to connect the RJ-45 ethernet cable (typically yellow in color) between the router and the computer. You will find the ethernet port on the side of the laptop or behind the cabinet of your PC.
- Now, you must connect the DB-9 console cable to the other end of the modem on its DB-9 adapter.
- Next, you must connect the DB-25 console cable to the other end of the modem on its DB-25 port.
- Finally, connect the AC adapter to any of the power ports in your room.
- Turn on the switch and check whether the LED lights on the modem are blinking or not. If they are blinking, it means that the router is working properly.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
To connect a workstation serial port to a Cisco terminal console port with a pullover straight through crossover, you need to connect an RJ-45 console cable to the terminal. This is best used for connecting the uBR904 cable modem.
RS232 is the code that is used for serial communication. It acts as the standard protocol for serial communication. This is used to transfer serial data between a computer and various peripherals it can connect to.
If you wish to connect the computer as the host port to the console port of a router or a switch device, then you should use an RJ-45 UTP cable that is rolled and preferably braided. These can be available easily in the market.
Straight cables and cross cables are the most used in most cases. Here, it is best to use straight cables if you want to connect two devices of different types. On the contrary, it is best to use cross cables if you are connecting two similar devices.
If a person ever asks, “what type of cable is used to connect a workstation serial port to a cisco router console port?” then the answer will always be the RJ-45 ethernet cable. This cable is the primary means of connection between a computer and a Cisco router or broadband modem.
The ethernet plug for the RJ-45 cable looks pretty different from most other plugs, especially these USB ports. The socket on the PC also looks different from other ports. You will find this port on the I/O port behind your PC cabinet or on the sides of your laptop near the charger port.
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Work At Walmart?
- How To Inspect Element On Mac 2022? Read More!
- Which Laptop Functions Are Best For Helping With Studies?